Allen has been on Wall Street for more than 35 years, having begun his career as a Research Analyst and later transitioned to investment management. As a Portfolio Manager, he seeks to deliver a “two for one” value to clients: forensic accounting insight and expertise combined with extensive experience analyzing and valuing companies. As a result of his background and approach, he is able to uncover hidden value—finding those “diamonds in the rough”—and continuously generate new investment ideas for his clients’ portfolios.
Portfolio construction and management
Allen’s primary focus is long-term equity investing. He has a significant book of balanced accounts, which includes high-quality corporate and municipal bonds. As a Portfolio Manager, Allen seeks to:
- Construct stock portfolios consisting of above-average businesses that are easy to understand, perform consistently, and are under-leveraged.
- Invests in companies where management is visible and is willing to visit First Manhattan or where a First Manhattan analyst has visited their headquarters.
- Readjust portfolios as appropriate in response to his clients’ current and changing needs and family situations.
- Use fixed income investments primarily when a client has periodic income needs.
- Successfully invest in a variety of spin-offs of large companies with undiscovered value—the success of which he attributes to his patience and long-term perspective.