This newly created position of Compliance Associate will join a seasoned legal & compliance team working in close coordination with our Chief Compliance Officer and other members of the team.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of the Firm’s policies and procedures
- Surveillance of investments (including for insider trading, anti-money laundering and market manipulation)
- Conducting surveillance of personnel activities (including for Code of Ethics, personal trading, registrations and licensing, and special supervisory issues)
- Compliance monitoring, testing and reporting for FINRA and SEC annual review purposes
- Managing relationships with external compliance resources
- Employee training
- Assisting with regulatory reporting and regulatory filings and related oversight
- Other day-to-day compliance functions
Notably, the right candidate will have the opportunity to interact with the Firm’s Portfolio Managers and support the executive leadership team in connection with a wide variety of compliance, regulatory, and risk management issues.
Desired Prior Experience
- A functional understanding of SEC and FINRA rules and regulations (including under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and the Securities & Exchange Act of 1934) and compliance techniques applicable to the supervision of individuals registered with a dually-registered investment advisor and broker/dealer, including any of the following:
- Subject matter expertise in investment advisory firm compliance
- Experience responding to regulatory inquiries and examinations by the SEC and/or FINRA and other regulators, and
- Experience advising and interacting with Portfolio Managers and traders in an investment advisory firm setting
- Anti-money laundering
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Law or advanced degree not required, but “nice to have”
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in financial services mandatory, experience in the wealth management space at a BD or an RIA a plus
- Facility with compliance-related technologies and systems, and a willingness and ability to expand existing technology skills.
- Good understanding of investment advisor and broker-dealer operational issues
- Preference for candidates with compliance-related experience involving pooled investment vehicles and/or registered and/or private investment funds (e.g., hedge funds, private equity funds, mutual funds and ETFs)
- Familiarity with regulatory and compliance issues relevant to financial technology
- Preference for candidates with prior experience with a regulator (ideally SEC)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills
- Candidate must exhibit a high-level of professionalism and sound judgment
- Series 7, 24 desirable but not mandatory
Interpersonal Competencies and Success Factors
- Ability to build trust, engender confidence and establish effective relationships with Director of Compliance, legal team, Portfolio Managers and senior management
- Willingness and ability to adapt to rapidly evolving organizational, regulatory and technology landscapes
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization
- Strong business acumen and ability to understand and articulate the business and risk implications of various policy provisions, rules and regulations. Ability to communicate compliance positions and strategies concisely.
- Consistently demonstrates a sense of urgency, responsiveness and commitment
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and conflicting deadlines simultaneously
- Gravitas, judgment and self-confidence but also respect for others, regardless of position
- Demonstrates the highest levels of ethics, values and integrity
Will be commensurate with candidate skills and experience. Compensation will consist of a competitive base salary and a discretionary annual bonus.